Are you looking for a way to start selling eco-friendly products?
If so, then this blog post is perfect for you.
We will talk about what it takes to sell green products online from your website, as well as some tips on how to get started doing it.
Awareness about the negative environmental impacts of many products is increasing.
And people are becoming more interested in purchasing eco-friendly alternatives.
This is not only a great way to be environmentally friendly, but it also often means saving money as well!
Here we will show you how you can start selling eco-friendly products online so that others can enjoy them too.
- Step 1 – Craft a Plan for selling your eco-friendly products online
- Step 2 – How much money does it take to start selling your eco-friendly products online
- Step 3 – Find your ideal customer.
- Step 4 – Define Your Eco-Friendly Ethics
- Step 5 – Register a Legal Entity
- Step 6 – Open a Business bank account.
- Step 7 – Get a business license.
- Step 8 – Eco-Conscious Materials
- Step 9 – Eco Friendly Business Branding
- Step 10 – Launch your sustainable products.
- What are the best-selling eco-friendly products?
Steps to start selling eco-friendly products online
Step 1 – Craft a Plan for selling your eco-friendly products online
Every business should start with coming up with a plan.
Taking these specific steps can help ensure the success of your business.
The more thought and planning goes into this process, the better off you will be later on!
Here we have listed some things to consider when starting out:
- Money you need
- The time you are willing to put in every day
- Niche or type of products to sell
- Where to find supplies for green products or materials
- online retail store or wholesale store
Step 2 – How much money does it take to start selling your eco-friendly products online
Starting a business is not going to be cheap.
But there are ways to save money so that your startup costs don’t break the bank.
For selling eco-friendly products online, the upfront cost for supplies and materials may be higher.
However, being a green business, people will be ready to pay higher prices for these products!
So, the cost for setting up an online eco-friendly product selling business depends on the products you sell.
It might take some time to set up and running until sales really pick up.
But, think of those savings as an investment into something sustainable, trendy, and hopefully profitable too!
Step 3 – Find your ideal customer.
You are going to sell eco-friendly products online. But what? where? how?
These questions can be best answered when you decide who your target customers are.
Define your ultimate customer avatar – maybe one or more.
- define what geographic location they live in
- determine their age range and gender
- Identify which social media networks they’re on, where they are likely to be shopping for a product or service like yours.
Once you have an idea about your customer avatar, you can start researching how to reach them.
- Is there a particular website that caters to the demographic?
- What type of advertising would work best for this area?
- How do we know if our marketing message will resonate with these people?
- When designing promotional materials – keep in mind their personality traits as well as their interests!
- You might find it helpful to use Google’s Audience Insights tool by adding demographics such as “women who shop online”.
Step 4 – Define Your Eco-Friendly Ethics
You may either sell products that you source from others or manufacture them yourself.
But, either way, you need to establish your eco-friendly ethics before you start selling them.
Do not sell products that have been tested on animals or use animal ingredients, for example.
Make sure the materials in all of your products can be reused and recycled if possible.
And make a plan for disposal of the items when they are no longer usable.
It’s also important to promote sustainability by conserving energy and water whenever possible.
It can be using sustainable forms of transportation or making green choices about office supplies like coffee mugs, printer paper, etc…
In addition, it is essential to follow industry regulations.
So, customers know their consumer rights and feel confident purchasing from you.
Regulations vary depending on where you live.
Step 5 – Register a Legal Entity
Forming a legal entity is essential for a business.
This protects the business owners from liability. It also makes it easier for them to sell their products.
The main types of legal entities include sole proprietorship, Partnership & corporation.
There is also LLC (Limited Liability Company) & S Corp (S Corporation).
You can also consult a legal advisor to decide which type of legal entity to choose.
Step 6 – Open a Business bank account.
As an online product seller, a business bank account becomes an inevitable necessity.
Good business banking can provide significant advantages for your company.
Especially if you may do high volumes of international transactions.
There are also eco-friendly banks for eco-conscious businesses.
Check them out as they may offer some subsidies (if applicable).
Step 7 – Get a business license.
For your online eco-friendly product selling business to succeed, you must get a business license.
This gives you an upper hand if any legal issues arise.
A licensed eco-friendly products seller tends to attract more customers than those who are not.
You can get a license in the form of green business certification.
You can attain it by registering your company with the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) as an environmental compliance contractor.
Step 8 – Eco-Conscious Materials
As an eco-friendly product seller, make sure all your business operations are as sustainable as possible. Some things to consider include –
Sustainable warehouse – Make sure your warehouse is sustainably run. Save electricity wherever possible. Reuse papers used. And so on.
Sustainable Packaging – Try using recycled paper-made boxes, cardboard, and other eco-friendly packaging materials.
Quality assurance certification – The essential part of any business is customer satisfaction, right? So make sure to get your Quality Assurance Certification for your products.
That way, customers can be more assured that they are buying the best quality possible.
Be wiser with water – Also, focus on saving water as far as possible on your premises.
Step 9 – Eco Friendly Business Branding
Focus on branding your business the right way.
- Logo – Choose a logo that depicts your business’s sustainable nature. Be creative & also make it memorable. Using greenish colors will be helpful.
- Design – From the website to your product, packaging follows a set of brand colors & designs.
- Make sure even your social media platforms depict your brand the right way.
Step 10 – Launch your sustainable products.
The next step is to set up other necessities to launch your products.
Here it would be best if you decided where you will be selling your products.
There are various online platforms to sell your eco-friendly products. Some of them are –
- Your own website
- Etsy & more…
Also, there are many eco-conscious e-commerce sites like
Choose the best platform that suits you depending on what and where you sell.
Business Website –
Your website is the best place to sell your eco-friendly products online.
You are your website’s boss. So you have full control over it.
Here are the steps to create your own e-commerce website –
- Register a domain name
- Find a hosting service – eco-friendly hosting services like GreenGeek, A2 Hosting, DreamHost can be a better choice.
- Pick the website builder and create your site
- Upload your product images & details on the site
- Put in place proper Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) strategy
And now you are good to go!
Step 11 – Marketing your eco-friendly products store
As an online store selling eco-friendly products, you need to market your business.
Only then can you find customers for your business.
Without a proper marketing strategy, all your efforts will be just a waste.
There are various marketing strategies you can implement. Some of them are.
- Social media marketing – by using social media marketing, you can target your potential customers and start selling.
- Email marketing – is a very effective method to reach out to people interested in buying eco-friendly products online.
- Display advertising on search engines such as Google Adwords or Bing ads will also help increase traffic to your site.
- Affiliate/referral marketing – Here, you give commission to people, preferably your existing customers, when they refer others to your business.
- Influencer marketing is an effective technique as it lets your customers promote the products to their follower base and increase your reach.
- Reach out to famous eco bloggers – work with them and ask them if they are interested in reviewing a product of yours or writing about it on their blog.
- Blogging – Blogging will help you create a strong online presence for your brand. Here you can share valuable information on various topics related to eco-friendly goods you sell.
- Partner with other established eco-friendly businesses – this will help you increase your reach.
These are few methods that will help with selling eco-friendly products online and getting more traffic.
You should implement one or all these strategies if you want to succeed in this endeavor.
What are the best-selling eco-friendly products?
This is a question with no definite answer.
The best-selling eco-friendly products depend on many factors, such as the size of your business, your target audience, and where you intend to sell them.
Here are some examples:
- Eco-friendly beauty supplies – bamboo makeup brushes, eco-friendly hair care products, natural soaps.
- Organic clothing – organic cotton T-shirts and baby clothes made of bamboo fibers.
- Eco-friendly household goods – eco-friendly dish soap or recycled paper towels.
- Handmade sustainable goods – homemade candles, soy wax melts, reusable tote bags, etc…
- Eco-friendly furniture
- Sustainable kitchen accessories – bamboo cooking utensils and bamboo kitchen sponges.
- Eco-friendly food products – organic pasta, eco-friendly crackers, etc.
- Eco-friendly women sanitary products – cloth pads, menstrual cups, etc.
You can see that the market for selling eco-friendly goods is diverse.
You need to know what product you want to sell to determine which items will be best sellers for your business.
Some of these are harder than others, but they all have one thing in common: They’re better for you and the environment!
I hope this article gave you an idea about the steps to start selling eco-friendly products online.
With this knowledge, you should be able to identify the best products for your business and get selling!
Leave a Reply